Friday, April 1, 2011

In Loving Memory

My grandmother, Nancy White passed away a little less than two weeks ago. She will be dearly missed. She was married to my grandpa for 59 years. They had three children who gave them 5 grandchildren, who gave them 4 great-grandchildren. We’ve all had so many special memories with her. She died from pancreatic cancer about four months after she was diagnosed. It is a terrible disease and I have a new empathy for those who’ve suffered from it and their families. The only good thing I can say is that it allowed us to all say our “goodbye’s”. My cousin, Cheryl, wrote her a sweet letter and it was read to my grandma, Ramon sang to her a couple of times a few days before she passed, my mom and all other close relatives got a chance to talk to her and love on her, my Grandpa cherished the last few months with her, Ashlyn "talked" to her and held her finger, and I read a poem to her. Here’s the poem to my grandma:


I will never forget all the times that you were there.
It was always so obvious that you always cared.
You were there for my mom and me when she left my dad,
You were there for me at all the birthday parties I had.
I ran a few track meets when you were in the stands,
You were there when I said my vows to a wonderful man.
You saw me graduate high school and college too,
We’ve had a lot of memories, more than just a few
I remember making paper magnets at your house one summer
And playing board games and puzzles, one after another.
The memories of Yogi Bear camp and Rio Dosa will never go away
They will always have a special place in my heart to stay
Ashlyn will know of all the memories that we shared
She will always know that she had a great-grandma that cared
She will always be able to look at the quilt that once was yours
And be reminded of her great-grandmother all the more
You will be truly missed, Grandma, by everyone here
But we know that you will be beyond happy and will have nothing to fear

Despite everyone’s sadness, we truly believe that she is with God and no longer suffering.

 Grandma and me when I was 6 weeks old.

 Grandpa and Grandma a few years ago.


"The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. The life of mortals is like grass, they flourish like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children."
Psalm 103:8-17


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting all of this, Kara.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete